Home / services / Department of Veteran's Affairs

Department of Veteran's Affairs

I am happy to assist veterans with obtaining their military records and medals, with questions they have concerning eligibility for benefits provided by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), or who may be experiencing difficulties with the VA Healthcare System or the VA claims and appeals process.

While it is important to know that I cannot act as the "veteran’s representative" for an individual's VA claim, such assistance can be obtained at no charge from accredited Veterans Service Organizations (VSO). Please see the VA's online Directory of Veterans Service Organizations for VSO contact information.

If you are unable to secure the help you need from the following resources, my staff and I are more than willing to help you in whatever way we can. However, I will need your written permission to help with veteran-related issues. A Privacy Authorization Form will need to be completed and sent with a detailed explanation of your request for assistance to: 

Congressman David G. Valadao
101 North Irwin Street
Suite 110 B
Hanford, California 93230


United States Department of Veterans Affairs

United States Department of Labor: Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS)

National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records
Repository for millions of military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services during the 20th century

Feds Hire Vets
United States Office of personnel Management’s government-wide veterans employment website.

Veterans History Project
The Veterans History Project collects, preserves, and makes accessible the personal accounts of American war veterans for future generations.

National Resource Directory
Connecting Wounded Warriors, Service Members, Veterans, Their Families and Caregivers with Those Who Support Them

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I contact the VA?
You can contact the VA by utilizing their online portal. You can also contact the Department's Los Angeles Regional Office listed below:

Los Angeles Regional Office
11000 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90024
Phone: (800) 827-1000 

What benefits are available from the VA?
The VA offers many types of benefits available to the men and women who have served on Active Duty or with Reserve Components of the U.S. Armed Forces including, but not limited to:

  • Healthcare
  • Disability Compensation
  • Disability Pension
  • Survivor and Dependent Benefits
  • Education Benefits
  • Life Insurance
  • Burial Benefits
  • Home Loans

For more information on these and other VA benefits, please see the VA's benefits fact sheets web page.

How do I apply for VA healthcare benefits?
Veterans can enroll in the VA Health Care System by:

Applying in person at any VA Medical Center or VA clinic
Applying online here
Mailing or faxing a completed VA form 10-10EZ, Application for Health Care Benefits, to the VA Medical Center or VA clinic of their choice

Enrollment assistance can be obtained by calling the VA's Health Benefits Service Center at 1-877-222-8387, or by calling your County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO).  

Are Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom veterans eligible for VA Healthcare?
VA healthcare benefits are available to veterans who served on active duty in a theater of combat operations. Free medical care is available for a period of five years from discharge from active duty.  Each VA Medical Center has a Point of Contact to assist with OEF/OIF veterans with accessing care.

Who can provide assistance with my VA claim?
Veterans Service Organizations (VSOs) are organizations or individuals who help veterans or beneficiaries with their claims without charge.  VSOs can help with questions about your claim, and they also can act on your behalf regarding your claim with the VA. See the VA's online Directory of Veterans Service Organizations for VSO contact information.

How can I get a copy of my medical records?
Copies of military personnel and service medical records that are on file at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), including Reports of Separation (DD Form 214 or equivalent), can be made available upon request to veterans and the next-of-kin of deceased veterans. Next-of-kin is defined as the father or mother, son or daughter, brother or sister, and the un-remarried widow or widower of the deceased veteran. 

In November 2007, the NPRC opened to the public the military personnel records of individuals separated from the military prior to 1946.  Each year, additional military personnel records will be made available to the public for individuals who have been discharged, deceased or retired for at least 62 years.

For information on how to request military records, please visit the NPRC's military records request page, or contact the NPRC directly.

How can I get replacement medals?
Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the veteran served. However, for Air Force (including Army Air Corps) and Army personnel, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  The Standard Form (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, is recommended for requesting medals and awards. Provide as much information as possible and send the form to the appropriate address.

U.S. Congressman David G. Valadao

Stay Connected