Home / services / Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture

Our district relies heavily on agriculture and the people who consume its byproducts. For that reason, the Department of Agriculture supplies a vast array of materials and information as it covers a broad range of agencies and offices, including the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) and the Office of Advocacy and Outreach (OAO). Though the Department is expansive, it is my job to provide resources to help you understand and work with the department.

If you are still in need of assistance after reviewing the resources below, please do not hesitate to contact my Hanford Office as my staff and I are more than happy to assist you.


Agency Reports


Climate Change

Dietary Guidelines


Food Safety Recalls

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I contact the United States Department of Agriculture?
The USDA can be contacted through their website or at the following address:

            United States Department of Agriculture
            1400 Independence Ave., S.W.
            Washington, DC 20250

Additionally, you may call the USDA Information Hotline at (202) 720-2791.

What resources does the state of California Supply?
Visit the California Department of Food and Agriculture's website for additional information on what state resources are available. 

Where can I find my local USDA Service Center?
You can find a list of service centers according to your county here.

Where can I find information on farm loan programs through the USDA?
FSA makes direct and guaranteed farm ownership (FO) and operating loans (OL) to family-size farmers and ranchers who cannot obtain commercial credit from a bank, Farm Credit System institution or other lender. For additional information on these programs please visit the USDA webpage on Farm Loan Programs.

Where can I find information regarding agricultural sustainability?
It is important to consider alternative farming options for the future. The Alternative Farming Systems Information Center (AFSIC) website provides information on such practices.

Where can I find information on water use in the United States?
The U.S. Geological Survey provides reports on water usage in the United States as well as state by state. These reports can be found here.

How can I determine the pH levels of my water?
Information regarding water hardness and alkalinity can be found on the U.S. Geological Survey’s website.

What is a good resource for a broad range of issues concerning soil?
The Soils Website provided by NRCS contains numerous resources on soil, including surveys, reports and lab data.

Where can I find information on erosion?
NRCS supplies information regarding soil erosion and enhancing soil quality here.

What are some ways I can manage nutrients and pests on my farm?
Tools and resources concerning Nutrient & Pest Management can be found on the Natural Resources and Conservation Service’s (NRCS) website.

What information and research does the USDA provide to yield better crops?
Crop Production covers a variety of areas, such as yields and weather. The USDA supplies reports, research, and programs regarding these topics on their website.

Is there software available for Animal Waste Management?
Animal Waste Management software is available for download on NRCS’s website. Useful handbooks and rules can also be located on the page.

Where can I find additional information on animal production?
Animal production
ranges from raising cattle to dairy resources. The USDA works with farmers to provide them with the latest information and resources to best assist them in these areas.

Where can I find Crop and Livestock Policies?
The Risk Management Agency (RMA) has listed Crop Polices and Livestock Policies on their website. The RMA also has an updated list of insurance companies for Crop Insurance and Livestock Insurance

What legislation affects the RMA’s programs?
The RMA provides the most up to date laws, such as the 2008 Farm Bill, on their Authorizing Acts and Statutes page.

How do I know if I am following regulations properly?
The Code of Federal Regulations concerning the USDA can be found here. The Farm Service Agency (FSA) also has a compilation of Federal Register Notices.

U.S. Congressman David G. Valadao

Stay Connected