September 14, 2017 -
WASHINGTON – Today, with the support of U.S. Congressman David G. Valadao (CA-21), the House of Representatives passed H.R. 3354, the Make America Secure and Prosperous Appropriations Act, legislation to provide all discretionary funding for the federal government for the 2018 fiscal year.
HR. 3354, the Make America Secure and Prosperous Appropriations Act includes funding for all twelve annual Appropriations bills, totalling $1.2 trillion, including $87 billion in funding for Global War on Terror (GWOT)/Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO). Following passage of the legislation, Congressman David G. Valadao (CA-21) released the following statement:
Highlights of the legislation include:
“This legislation provides funding for the critical programs my constituents depend upon every single day. The Make America Secure and Prosperous Appropriations Act makes necessary infrastructure investments, increases funding to advance life-saving research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and ensures the safety of all Americans by investing in local law enforcement as well strengthening as our national security priorities.
On top of that, this legislation reduces wasteful spending, ensuring my constituents' tax dollars are used in the most efficient and responsible manner possible."
Congressman David G. Valadao represents the 21st Congressional District, which includes Kings County and portions of Fresno, Tulare, and Kern Counties.
- Cuts funding for the EPA by $528 million below FY17 levels – bringing EPA’s budget to below FY06 levels
- Cuts the IRS by $149 million, which holds the agency’s budget below the 2008 level
- Funds critical programs that support farmers and ranchers, including programs that help with the implementation of the Farm Bill
- Provides funding for anti-opioid programs
- Implements reforms, peels back regulations, and streamlines the bureaucracy
- Increases funding for critical education programs including Early Childhood programs and the Child Care and Development Block Grant program
- Includes provisions protecting 2nd Amendment rights